Wednesday, March 11, 2009

And On this Farm....


 We had been talking about our yard and how I wasn't planning on mowing the front pasture this year at all.  We have discussed many a times getting a riding mower but backed out of the idea.  We have discussed getting a Jersey cow to milk and letting her mow the front pasture for me.  We currently have on our "farm" term used lightly pigeons, and lots of chickens.  I love the chickens.  Right now  I get more eggs than one can use.  At times I curse them because they ruin my flower beds but they eat all the bugs.   I would love to have a pig to butcher.  Not too excited about the smell but.... it would only be for a few months.


Well......A couple of weeks ago Chad found a great deal on some baby calfs.  They were FREE! 

Him and his Dad went and picked them up and  surprised the kids.  Logan was nervous and didn't know what to think, Autumn loved them but was really disappointed it wasn't a pony, Sicily likes them from a distance and Sage just isn't sure.  

Autumn got one out of the stable and it followed her around like a lost baby.  It tried to lick her, eat her coat and it even played tag with her.  Logan got in on the fun but, Sicily would only touch the cows if Daddy was right there.   They have named them "Watermelon", and "T-Bone".  

The other night we all went out to feed them their bottles.  I had left Sage in the house to eat her snacks.  When we came back to the house the doors were all locked.  The kids had locked all the doors because "Daddy said when the cows get bigger we are going to butcher them and eat them."  Well yes, that is what these cows are for but that doesn't mean you should lock the doors.  Poor Sage sat at the glass door thinking it was a game at first but then getting upset because she wasn't getting outside with us.  Chad got a window open and Logan got to crawl through to open the door.  He was more concerned about Sage then actually opening the door.  


4 comments:

We Are A Happy Family said...

Congratulations on the cows. I am so excited about your little farm. I wish we had room for our own animals. How are you feeling?

Jr Tea Family said...

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there. :)We look forward to tuning in again and finding out what's new at your place. Dot & I agree w/ Autumn about a horse. If we could I'd live on a ranch :)

Syd said...

Sounds like we know where to take Kalei so she can learn about the farm! Your pictures are great, and your kids are getting SO big. I love Autumn's long hair. Take care, and hug the kids for us.

Saimi said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute! You are living my dream. The only thing missing is a horse.