
At our place, spring comes when the first baby chicks start hatching. Most springs you will find an incubator sitting on a cabinet in my kitchen. Not my choice. Chad has a love for animals and every year I see more and more of this come out.
Bees are buzzing...but not our bees. 380 hives of Chad's died leaving him with 30. Not very good, not good at all. Don't even ask me how I feel about it. Let me just say, the potential profit on his hives for the year was $70,000.
This year he surprised us all with 2 baby goats. Why????? because he has always wanted goats and we have weeds. I wasn't too happy with this. You see, for me this is more work. For Chad this is his hobby. We've been bottle feeding princess and buttercup 2x a day 2 bottles each. These crazy rascals don't eat the weeds, they eat my raspberries, grass, and flowers.

We also added not 2 cows like we had talked about but 5 cows. Why???? because they are cute and why not. I wasn't too happy with this either. I didn't find out about the extra cows until the evening before he had to go to work. Those next 48 hours were not pretty. 5 cows being bottle fed 2x a day....hooray.

I've always wanted my own pigs. Why???? have you ever tasted good quality home raised ham? I have and man, it is the best. These little guys pretty much take care of themselves. Just a quick watering and throw in some food. They eat all my table scraps (except meat). The only problem, they really stink. They are only here for a short time. I'm going to have a nice ham for Thanksgiving.

Now all we lack is a horse. No need to remind me, I have 2 girls that ask me everyday if they will get their horse soon. This barn is closed for now.
As a matter of fact, we are moving all our cows to a friends pasture for the summer. He already has our 2 cows from last year and they aren't keeping up. That should make things easier here on the farm.
In Chad's defense, he does all the work with the animals and I only step in when he is at work. This is something he loves and I support him in it. I just can't add anymore to my plate.

No comments:
Post a Comment